Letter signed by all prospective candidates contesting Lok Sabha from Western Ghats in 2009.
Dear People of Western Ghats,
I understand the importance of the Sahyadri or Western Ghats as a source of ecological security to the millions of people in India. Recognising this fact, once elected to the Parliament, I shall strive to work towards evolving a holistic policy towards the Sahyadri mountain range. In order to attain this I shall try my best to work on the following issues:
1. Will try to work towards conserving the remaining natural forests, flora and fauna in the region
2. Will try to bring policy changes towards establishing Western Ghats Conservation Authority, an inclusive and representative body vested with powers to initiate actions to protect the fragile ecosystems.
3. Will not support any actions, policies that will lead to destruction of the natural resources like forests, wildlife, river or coastal areas
4. Will protect the livelihood base of forest dwellers, without destroying their natural resource base
5. Will work towards reduction of conflicts between man and wildlife
As I am one of the persons who is part of Western Ghats, it is my duty to be the messenger of these mountains which is voiceless. I assure you that I shall be the spokesperson for this Sahyadri in the Lok Sabha.